Saturday, May 21, 2011

Glorious, Inglourious

I watched Inglourious Basterds for the nine millionth time (after first seeing it during my spring break) and I will say and say again I loooooove that movie.  It took me a really long time to actually see it because Brad Pitt was always such a turn-off after that shocking/terrifying/moving/every-emotion-brought-forth Christoph Waltz opening.  Now that I've finally seen it if it's on tv, I will watch it.  It's honestly one of the most underrated overrated movies..if that makes sense.  The thing I can't understand though, is why Diane Kruger got billed as the top actress in the film whereas Melanie Laurent stole the show as Shosanna.  I am obsessed with her in this movie and decided to do a makeup look modeled after the Nazi movie night/her being tragic and fabulous planning on blowing up her own movie theater.  So, pardon the Swastikas in the pictures from the actual movie.  And if any of you have not seen it, please go rent it or buy it or netflix it, it's sooooooo worth it :)

 Laurent's character prepping...she could not be cooler nor more beautiful...really!

   As I said, this look is based off the part of the movie where Shosanna is instigating her plan to kill all of the Nazis in her theatre and there is this amazing sequence where she's applying her makeup and getting ready to *spoiler alert* die for her cause.  It's a very natural beauty, classic look that I modified a little because I have a) a paler complexion and b) dark hair.

Finished look without netting in outdoor lighting
 I did all of my basic foundational makeup: Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Makeup in Classic Ivory 10 followed by Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder to set the foundation and remove excess shine.  It's a great product that is translucent, so it works with every skin tone.  To get a more 40's feel to this look I "pencilled in" my eyebrows by first combing them and then took MAC's Brow Set in Show-Off and ran it through my brows.  This product tints the brows and also acts as a gel, keeping them in place and is a must-have tool because, if nobody noticed, eyebrows are kind of important for the whole framing your eyes, giving definition, blah, blah, blah.  Highlighter was NARS Multiple in Cococabana.  In the movie, Shosanna uses a red rouge for her cheeks, so I used my red MAC Cream Colour Base in Movie Star Red achieve her glamourous look.  
      For the eyes I used a slightly bronze color--Covergirl Eye Enhancer in Golden Sunrise and filled my lid with that.  I blended MAC Eye Shadow in Free to Be (peach-coral) in my crease and under my eye/around my water line/a little past that, blending so there was just a hint.  I then penciled in a teeny tiny bit of Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Uzi (dark grey in color) around my water line.  Benefit's Bad Gal Blue Mascara finished off the eye.


My lips have been super dry so I applied a thin layer of MAC Lip Conditioner (SPF 15!) on my lips before applying lip pencil (Hot Topic's Red Pencil). I filled in my entire lip with the pencil and then blotted on MAC Lipstick in Russian Red.  The lip balm made the overall lip-look more soft and dewy which was welcomed because oftentimes I feel like Russian Red gets kind of chalky in texture and appearance.
 No surprise that I had my netting out for going out to sushi...just like Shoshanna minus Nazis :) Wish I could have gotten a slightly better picture though :/
Such a cute design...MAC Eye Shadow in Free to Be

Hope you all enjoyed this Inglourious Basterds look and remember that classic looks like this can be modified to work with your skin tone and hair color while still resembling your target look/inspiration...I mean, I think this is pretty spot-on, I even have fancy head gear...per usual...
~Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment